210 Knot FAA certified RG composite

An American company has introduced a line of already FAA-certified composite aircraft after it bought the type and production certificates from a German company. Solaris Aviation Inc. of Parkland, Florida, is manufacturing the Sigma line of retractable-gear aircraft. Engine options range from 230 to 310 horsepower; the most powerful is estimated to have a top speed in excess of 210 knots.

Each model features gull-wing doors on both sides of the fuselage. The 250- and 310-hp models will be available in the United States for selling prices of $244,900 and $279,900, respectively. Solaris was established in 1999 after it bought the assets, molds, and tooling from Ruschmeyer Aircraft GmbH. The more labor-intensive parts of the airplanes are being produced at a facility in Poland that was previously used to manufacture gliders. Final assembly is taking place in Florida.

I took a quick look at these planes at Oshkosh - I was surprised because I’d not yet heard of them, but yet there they were - with an already-certified aircraft!

Their demo model there looked pretty nice, but I couldn’t find out a whole lot about their company. I was given a business card with “http://www.solarisaviation.com” web site, but when I went there, it seems they haven’t set up the site yet.

That seems a little strange…

If anyone is interested I have a copy of their brochure from OSH at home, I can quote information off of that - just email me.

Steve

An American company has introduced a line of already FAA-certified composite aircraft after it bought the type and production certificates from a German company. Solaris Aviation Inc. of Parkland, Florida, is manufacturing the Sigma line of retractable-gear aircraft. Engine options range from 230 to 310 horsepower; the most powerful is estimated to have a top speed in excess of 210 knots.

Each model features gull-wing doors on both sides of the fuselage. The 250- and 310-hp models will be available in the United States for selling prices of $244,900 and $279,900, respectively. Solaris was established in 1999 after it bought the assets, molds, and tooling from Ruschmeyer Aircraft GmbH. The more labor-intensive parts of the airplanes are being produced at a facility in Poland that was previously used to manufacture gliders. Final assembly is taking place in Florida.

Very wise to have final assembly taking place in Florida. A lot better weather for picking up your airplane than Duluth. Same goes for Piper in Vero Beach.

I took a quick look at these planes at Oshkosh - I was surprised because I’d not yet heard of them, but yet there they were - with an already-certified aircraft!

Their demo model there looked pretty nice, but I couldn’t find out a whole lot about their company. I was given a business card with “http://www.solarisaviation.com” web site, but when I went there, it seems they haven’t set up the site yet.

If anyone is interested I have a copy of their brochure from OSH at home, I can quote information off of that - just email me.

Steve

I read this same article yesterday on the AOPA e-mail that came.

I too looked at this airplane at OSH and picked up a brochure. The equipped prices quoted me by their rep at the display were higher than those listed by AOPA in their brief. Also when I asked the rep about delivery times he advised they were taking orders for something like position # 36, due in about 1 1/2 years.

The brochure lists the Sigma 230 (hp) @ 175 kts high speed cruise with 1106 useful. The sigma 250 (hp) @ 184 kts with 1085 useful. Sigma 310 @215 kts with 1183 useful.

One fact noted on the brochure is stall speeds, 57 57 60 respectively flaps down, 67 67 71 flaps up respectively.

In my opinion the plane itself looked more like a cross between a Piper Arrow and a Commander 112/114 with the horizontal stab in the conventional location, not bad looking but certainly not with the graceful curves of the SR’s or Lancair. It looks more 50’s vintage. Also the need for a 4-blade prop was curious.

Still, the more the better in the new plane market, as long as their is competition and they remain solvent financially.

Mike

Steve

I read this same article yesterday on the AOPA e-mail that came.

I too looked at this airplane at OSH and picked up a brochure. The equipped prices quoted me by their rep at the display were higher than those listed by AOPA in their brief. Also when I asked the rep about delivery times he advised they were taking orders for something like position # 36, due in about 1 1/2 years.

The brochure lists the Sigma 230 (hp) @ 175 kts high speed cruise with 1106 useful. The sigma 250 (hp) @ 184 kts with 1085 useful. Sigma 310 @215 kts with 1183 useful.

One fact noted on the brochure is stall speeds, 57 57 60 respectively flaps down, 67 67 71 flaps up respectively.

In my opinion the plane itself looked more like a cross between a Piper Arrow and a Commander 112/114 with the horizontal stab in the conventional location, not bad looking but certainly not with the graceful curves of the SR’s or Lancair. It looks more 50’s vintage. Also the need for a 4-blade prop was curious.

Maybe I was a little off. Late 60’s early 70’s would be a better time frame.

Still, the more the better in the new plane market, as long as their is competition and they remain solvent financially.

Mike

Also the need for a 4-blade prop was curious.

European noise requirements perhaps?

Also the need for a 4-blade prop was curious.

European noise requirements perhaps?

Ruschmeyer called it the “Quiet Lightning”

Depends on how you look at it. In Duluth in February you are comfortable once you get the engine running and it warms up a bit and you have a good chance to have a clear blue sky with great visiblity. In Vero Beach in February you may be uncomfortable until you climb to 5,000 feet and then you have haze and scattered clouds to contend with. Also keep your speed up after takeoff (110-120) or you will redline the oil and cylinder head temp. It happened to me at Palm Beach last February. I can’t even imagine what July and August are like down there.

Very wise to have final assembly taking place in Florida. A lot better weather for picking up your airplane than Duluth. Same goes for Piper in Vero Beach.

I looked at this aircraft at Oshkosh and I much prefer to Cirrus with CAPS. I would think that most people will pick the an aircraft for it’s merits, rather than a “Location” of where it is built.
JMO, Denis

Right now down here it’s HOT! I flew today and it’s brutal. Where in Palm Beach did you stop? Someone today mentioned that an SR22 landed at Lantana briefly.

On another note, I live down the street from Parkland, so I wonder where their finally assembly facility is located in Florida.

Depends on how you look at it. In Duluth in February you are comfortable once you get the engine running and it warms up a bit and you have a good chance to have a clear blue sky with great visiblity. In Vero Beach in February you may be uncomfortable until you climb to 5,000 feet and then you have haze and scattered clouds to contend with. Also keep your speed up after takeoff (110-120) or you will redline the oil and cylinder head temp. It happened to me at Palm Beach last February. I can’t even imagine what July and August are like down there.

If I have to worry about oil temps and cylinder head temps in February in Florida, I think I should sell my position to someone in Alaska. Something is seriously wrong with that plane or its gauges! Palm Beach in the winter is why Henry Flagler and the Kennedys built there. There’s very little any better with a clear, blue sky almost every day in wintertime. You must have found one of a few exceptionally warm days. If you were here in July, I would be slightly more sympathetic, but still temps are almost always less than 90 degrees.

Right now down here it’s HOT! I flew today and it’s brutal. Where in Palm Beach did you stop? Someone today mentioned that an SR22 landed at Lantana briefly.

On another note, I live down the street from Parkland, so I wonder where their finally assembly facility is located in Florida.

The address on the brochure is:

Solaris Aviation

Palm Beach North County Airport

11250-4 Aviation Blvd.

West Palm Beach, Fl

Mike