12 hrs vs 8 Hrs Bottle to Throttle ...

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/United-Pilots-Drinking-Alcohol-Rules-12-Hours-540554161.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

I wonder why this took so long - especially in the commercial ATP world

Probably because the companies figured pilots would be responsible adults… much like a lot of the rules we have in aviation…

FAA is 8 but Embry Riddle was 12.

I think “it depends” but only because 8 or 12 may not be enough. The older I get the more hung over I feel… at this point I prob wouldn’t drink the night before a flight—at least not cocktails.

When I rode motorcycles, where alcohol is fine insofar as you are below legal BAC I still used the 8 hour rule. It was more about honor. If I was wiped out by a car, 100% their fault, I didn’t want some fed noting alcohol in my system. Wouldn’t want to leave this earth with a shred of suggestion that it was my poor decision making. Actually… sort of like over-the-counter & GA I guess.

Yeah, this.

24 hours minimum.

Just not worth it.

“It’s a matter of honor.” I like that.

While most pilots remember the 91.17(a)(1) 8-hour bottle-to-throttle rule, we should also remember the 91.17(a)(2) blanket not-under-the-influence-period rule.

As you point out, each of us recovers in our own way. We each need to assess whether we are still under the influence regardless of how long it’s been since our lips kissed the glass (or can, as it may be).

It’s a matter of honor.

PS: 12 hours for me.

When I started my airline flying in 1967, my employer required 24 hours. Very few observed the 24 hour rule. When the rule was changed to 12 hours, we all said ‘I can live with this’, and there was no more problem.